Zovirax is used for the treatment of cold sores. The active ingredient is aciclovir, an antiviral agent. Apply at the first signs of a cold sore (such as tingling and itching). It can also be used to speed up healing if one has already appeared.
Directions for use:
Suitable for all ages:
- Apply at the first signs of a cold sore (such as tingling and itching).
- Apply liberally to the affected area 5 times a day.
- Continue treatment for 4 days. If your cold sore hasn’t healed after this time, you can use the cream for up to 10 days in total.
- Treat your cold sore for 4 full days to ensure rapid healing.
- If you forget a dose, apply when you remember and continue as before.
- If your cold sore hasn’t healed fully after 10 days, or if it gets worse at any time, contact your doctor.
- Never give your Zovirax to others, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
- The amount of cream inside this pack is enough for one cold sore attack. For any future attacks, start treatment at the first signs of a cold sore developing (such as tingling or itching). It can also be started during the blister stage.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose.
Do not use Zovirax:
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to aciclovir, valaciclovir, propylene glycol or any of the other ingredients (listed below).
- Inside your mouth (e.g. for mouth ulcers) or nose.
- For any skin infection other than a cold sore.
- In the eyes or genital area.
Take special care with Zovirax
- Always wash your hands before and after applying Zovirax.
- Do not touch your eyes until you have washed your hands after application.
- If you accidentally get cream in your eye, wash out thoroughly with warm water. Consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- Do not swallow the cream. If you accidentally swallow any cream, it is unlikely to cause any ill effects but consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- Avoid touching a cold sore to prevent transferring the infection or making it worse.
- If you have been told by your doctor that you have a weakened immune system, contact your doctor before treating any type of infection.
- If you are in any doubt if you have a cold sore, contact your doctor.
- If your cold sore gets very severe, contact your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any regular medication on prescription or over the counter products.
Active ingredient 5% w/w Aciclovir.
Other ingredients Dimeticone, propylene glycol, poloxamer 407, cetostearyl alcohol, sodium laurilsulfate, white soft paraffin, liquid paraffin, arlacel 165 (glycerol monostearate, macrogol stearate 100) and purified water
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine.