We provide a wide range of rollators, wheelchairs, and walking frames with wheels available to make daily life easier for the elderly and those with mobility impairments. Our premium products offer support and ease of use.
How does a rollator differ from a wheelchair?
A rollator is primarily used for individuals who have some mobility but need some support while walking. A wheelchair, on the other hand, is designed for individuals who cannot walk or have limited mobility and need to be seated and pushed.
Benefits of using a rollator
Using a rollator can provide several benefits:
Enhanced Mobility: The right rollator becomes your trusted companion, effortlessly enhancing your ability to move around, engage with your surroundings, and maintain an active lifestyle.
Increased Independence: Gain a newfound sense of freedom as you navigate through your daily activities independently, reducing the need for constant assistance and allowing you to retain control.
Improved Balance and Stability: Experience enhanced balance and stability, granting you the confidence to move confidently and securely, even on uneven or challenging surfaces.
Reduced Risk of Falls: The rollator acts as a reliable support system, significantly lowering the risk of accidental falls and providing a reassuring presence as you move.
Built-In Rest: Enjoy the convenience of a built-in seat, offering a convenient resting spot whenever you need it. This feature ensures you can take breaks and recharge during longer walks or outings.
How do I choose the right rollator for me?
When choosing a rollator, consider factors such as your height, weight, mobility needs, and the terrain on which you will primarily use the rollator. It is also important to consider additional features such as adjustable handles, wheel size, and seat height.
Factors to consider:
1. Personal Attributes
2. Terrain and Usage:
- Height and Weight: Choose a rollator that accommodates your stature and weight.
- Mobility Needs: Identify your mobility requirements, whether you need a basic walking aid or need additional support due to specific medical needs.
3. Adjustable Features:
- Indoor vs. Outdoor: Determine if you'll primarily use the rollator indoors, outdoors, or both, to ensure it suits your environment.
Indoor rollators such as the:Home Rollator with Tray or outdoor rollators such as the:Let's Go Out Outdoor Rollator
- Manoeuvrability: Consider the size and design of the rollator for navigating through different spaces.
4. Wheel Number and Type:
- Handle Height: Opt for models with adjustable handles to customise the rollator's height according to your requirements.
- Seat Height: Choose a rollator with a seat height that allows you to comfortably sit and rest when needed.
- A 4 wheeled rollator, consists of a frame with four wheels, handlebars, and a built-in seat, and is more stable, whereas a tri-wheel rollator does not have a seat but it more manoeuvrable
- Wheel Diameter: Decide on the wheel size based on the surfaces you'll be traversing—larger wheels are ideal for smoother outdoor journeys.
- Wheel Type: Consider whether solid or pneumatic wheels are better suited for your intended usage.
Do you offer height-adjustable rollators?
Yes, all our rollators are height adjustable to accommodate users of different heights and ensure proper posture and comfort while walking.
What are the benefits of using a wheelchair?
1. Enhanced Mobility: wheelchairs offer a constant aid, improving your ability to move and interact with your environment, helping you stay active.
2. Increased Independence: Wheelchairs allow you to complete daily tasks on your own, cutting down the need for assistance and helps improve independence.
3. Improved Accessibility: With a wheelchair, navigating different terrains and indoor areas becomes easier, making more places accessible.
4. Reduced Fatigue: A wheelchair provides a comfortable seating position, helping reduce tiredness during prolonged activities.
5. Safety and Support: Wheelchair offers a stable foundation, lowering the chances of potential mishaps and giving users a secure feeling while moving.
How do I choose the right Wheelchair?
Terrain and Usage:
- Height and Weight: Choose a wheelchair that fits your height and weight perfectly, ensuring maximum support and comfort.
- Mobility Needs: Determine your specific mobility needs, whether it's basic mobility assistance or additional supportive features.
Indoor vs. Outdoor: Decide if your primary use for the wheelchair will be around the house, travelling, or a combination of both, to ensure it's fit for your environment. Options might include lightweight travel wheelchairs like the “LIVE Folding Transport Wheelchair”.
- Pay attention to the size and design of the wheelchair, whether you require a self propelled or a push transit wheelchair especially if navigating through tight spaces or crowded areas.
Wheel Size and Type:
- Handle Height: If the wheelchair has push handles, consider models with adjustable heights for caregivers to push with ease.
- Seat Depth and Width: Ensure the wheelchair seat dimensions provide a comfortable fit and allow for rest when required.
Accessories and Attachments:
- Design Basics: Wheelchairs typically come with a sturdy frame, large rear wheels for self-propelling, and smaller front caster wheels.
- Wheel Diameter: Depending on the terrain you plan to cover, choose the appropriate wheel size. Larger diameter wheels may be more suited for rough terrains.
Ramps and Lifts: For areas with steps or uneven surfaces, you might need accessories like the “Threshold Wedge Ramp.”
Protection and Comfort: Consider items like a “Wheelchair Cover” to keep you comfortable and protected from the elements during outdoor usage.
Phelan's Pharmacies' diverse range of Wheelchairs and rollators are thoughtfully designed to be the perfect mobility aid to help the elderly or the disabled. Contact our expert team to find the perfect Wheelchair or rollator to suit your needs.