Voltarol Emulgel is a medicated treatment containing a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine. The active ingredient (diclofenac) penetrates the skin to provide relief of pain and inflammation. It works differently from heat or cooling rubs, which contain ingredients that stimulate nerves in the skin, to provide a sensation of heating or cooling.
Voltarol Emulgel is non-greasy, with no strong odour.
Voltarol Emulgel P 1% w/w Gel contains the active ingredient diclofenac which is from the group of medicines called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Voltarol Emulgel P 1% w/w Gel is used to relieve pain and reduce swelling in a number of painful conditions affecting the joints and muscles, e.g. sprains, strains and bruises. It is also used to relieve the pain of muscular rheumatism.
Voltarol Emulgel P 1% w/w Gel is available in 30g and 50g tubes.
Directions for use:
Adults and children aged 14 years and over:
- Before using for the first time, open as follows: Reverse the cap, engage with the nozzle, twist and remove the seal from the tube.
- Gently rub a small amount of gel into the skin around the painful or swollen area. The amount of gel needed will vary depending upon the size of the painful or swollen area. Usually, a quantity the size of a cherry or a walnut will be sufficient.
- You can apply the gel 3 to 4 times a day unless your doctor or pharmacist tells you otherwise. You may notice a slight cooling effect when you rub the gel into the skin. Do not rub the gel into cuts, open wounds or any other area where the skin is abnormal.
- After rubbing the gel into the skin, do not cover with bandages or sticking plaster.
- Be careful not to get the gel in your eyes. If this happens, rinse your eyes with clean water and tell your doctor.
- Wash your hands after rubbing in the gel (unless they are the site being treated).
You should not use this gel for more than 7 days. If your symptoms get worse or do not improve, tell your doctor
This medicine is NOT recommended for use in children under 14 years of age.
DO NOT use Voltarol Emulgel P 1% w/w Gel if you:
- are allergic (hypersensitive) to diclofenac, propylene glycol, benzyl benzoate, isopropyl alcohol or any of the other ingredients in the product (see below)
- have ever had an allergic reaction to diclofenac or other medicines used to treat pain, fever or inflammation, such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
- are asthmatic and are allergic (hypersensitive) to aspirin or other non-steroidal agents, such as ibuprofen
- are in the last 3 months of pregnancy, as it could harm your unborn child or cause problems at delivery.
Take special care with Voltarol Emulgel P 1% w/w Gel
- Do NOT apply to skin with conditions such as cuts, open wounds, or on skin that has a rash or eczema.
- The gel can be used with a permeable (non-occlusive) bandage. Do not use an airtight occlusive dressing.
- Discontinue the treatment if a skin rash develops after applying the product.
- This gel is for external use only. Do not use it in the mouth. Do not swallow it.
- Be careful not to get the gel in your eyes or the inside of your nose. If you get the gel in your eyes, rinse them well with clean water. See your doctor or pharmacist if any discomfort persists.
- Avoid applying on large areas of skin and over a prolonged period of time, unless under medical advice. Use of the gel over extensive areas of skin for a prolonged time or using more than the recommended dose may give some side effects. Symptoms include: gastrointestinal disturbances and bleeding, irritability, fluid retention, rash, liver inflammation, kidney problems, allergic reactions, difficulty in breathing and skin lesions.
- Your skin may be more sensitive to sunlight. Be careful when sunbathing or using sun lamps
- If you have, or have had, peptic ulcers, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver or kidney problems, certain blood disorders, or intestinal inflammation, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you are already taking diclofenac or other NSAID tablets.
The active substance is diclofenac diethylammonium (equivalent to 1g of diclofenac sodium in each 100g of gel).
The other ingredients are diethylamine, carbomer, macrogol cetostearyl ether, cocoyl caprylocaprate, isopropyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, propylene glycol, purified water, perfume (containing benzyl benzoate
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine.