- Health & Wellbeing
- First Aid
Milk of Magnesia liquid (magnesium hydroxide) is a traditional mint flavoured oral suspension used to relieve indigestion, excess acid and wind, heartburn and stomach discomfort. It can also be used as a laxative to relieve mild constipation.
Directions for use:
Adults (including the elderly) and children aged 12 years and older:
Take one to two 5ml spoonfuls (first or second line in dosing cup). Repeat as necessary to a maximum of twelve 5ml spoonfuls (60ml) in 24 hours.
Children: (6-11 years):
Give one 5ml spoonful (first line in dosing cup). Repeat as necessary to a maximum of six 5ml spoonfuls (30ml) in 24 hours.
If you are suffering with constipation, please consult the information leaflet on the back of the bottle for dosage information.
Do not take as a laxative for more than 3 consecutive days or as an antacid for more than 14 days
Before taking magnesium hydroxide, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease, appendicitis or symptoms of appendicitis (e.g., stomach/abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting), magnesium-restricted diet, sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for longer than 2 weeks.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine