Easofen for Children contains ibuprofen, which is a painkiller and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory for babies, toddlers and children aged from 3 months. This strawberry flavoured oral suspension is pleasant tasting and the dosing syringe included makes it easy to measure and administer.
This medicine is designed to help bring down a high temperature (fever and post-immunisation fever), relieve the symptoms of cold and flu and relieve pain from headaches, sore throats, ear ache, minor aches and sprains, teething and toothache.
Directions for use:
Babies 3 - 6 months (and over 5kg): Give 2.5ml. Maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.
Babies 6 - 12 months: Give 2.5 ml. Maximum of 4 doses in 24 hours.
Toddlers 1 - 3 years: Give 5ml. Maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.
Children 4 - 6 years: Give 7.5ml. Maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.
Children 7 - 9 years: Give 10ml. Maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.
Children 10 years and over: Give 15ml. Maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.
Leave at least 6 hours between each dose.
Never exceed the stated dose.
Do not use this medicine
- if your child is allergic to ibuprofen or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listedbelow)
- if your child previously suffered an allergic reaction (e.g. skin rash, runny nose or wheezing/breathlessness, swelling of the lips, face, tongue or throat) after taking aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medicines
- if your child is taking any other anti-inflammatory (NSAID) painkillers or aspirin
- if your child has (or has had two or more episodes of) a stomach ulcer, perforation or bleeding from an ulcer or elsewhere
- if your child has severe kidney, heart or liver failure
- if your child has inherited problems coping with fructose/fruit sugar (hereditary fructose intolerance). This is because the body can make some fructose from the ingredient maltitol.
- if your child suffers from blood clotting disorders as ibuprofen may increase bleeding time
- if your child has unclarified blood-formation disturbances such as thrombocytopenia
- if your child has bleeding of the brain (cerebrovascular bleeding) or other active bleeding
- if your child has severe dehydration (caused by vomiting, diarrhoea or insufficient fluid intake)
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Easofen oral suspension
- if your child has or has had high blood pressure, heart problems or a stroke because there is a small increased risk of heart problems with ibuprofen
- if your child has a condition which may put them at risk of heart problems, such as diabetes or high cholesterol
- if your child has a condition which increases tendency to bleeding or they have bleeding in the skull
- if your child has had previous allergic reactions to other substances, has asthma or any allergic disease of the lungs
- if your child suffers from hayfever, nasal polyps or chronic obstructive respiratory disorders as an increased risk of allergic reactions exists. The allergic reactions may present as asthma attacks (so called analgesic asthma), Quincke’s oedema or urticaria (hives)
- if your child has, or has had liver, kidney, heart or bowel problems
- if your child has SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, a condition of the immune system), exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, or any similar disease
- if your child suffers from chronic inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- if you previously experienced stomach bleeding or perforation after taking ibuprofen or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- if your child has just undergone major surgery
- if your child is dehydrated as there is an increased risk of kidney problems
- if your child has certain hereditary blood formation disorders (e.g. acute intermittent porphyria)
- when stomach ulcer or bleeding occurs in patients receiving Easofen oral suspension the treatment should be withdrawn.
- if you have chicken pox (varicella) as it is advisable to avoid use of Easofen oral suspension
- if you have an infection - consult with your GP or pharmacist
The active ingredient is Ibuprofen 100 mg per 5 ml. The other ingredients are: Maltitol liquid, water, glycerol, citric acid, sodium citrate, sodium chloride, sodium saccharin, orange or strawberry flavour, xanthan gum, polysorbate 80, domiphen bromide.
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine