Senokot contains Senna/Sennosides which work as a stimulant laxative for the short term relief of occasional constipation. Constipation is a fairly common and uncomfortable complaint. It usually involves difficult or irregular bowel movements, accompanied by hard, dry motions which can be painful to pass. Laxatives do not help with weight loss.
Directions for use:
Adults and the elderly:
- One to two tablets at bedtime with a drink of water, unless otherwise advised by your doctor.
- This medicine should not be used by children under 18 years of age.
Duration of use
- Normally it is sufficient to take this medicine up to two to three times a week.
- Not to be used for more than one week.
Tell a doctor, pharmacist or nurse if:
- the symptoms worsen, or persist during the use of the medicinal product
- there is no bowel movement within 3 days of use
- you need to take laxatives every day or if abdominal pain persists.
Do not take if you:
- are allergic to any of the ingredients (for a full list of ingredients, see below)
- have blockage or narrowing of the gastro-intestinal tract or bowel (ileus, intestinal obstruction or stenosis)
- have paralysis or a lack of muscle tone in the bowel (atony)
- have appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.
- have severe dehydration
- have persistent or undiagnosed abdominal complaints e.g pain, nausea, or vomiting
- have faecal impaction or rectal bleeding for which you don't know the cause, or blood in your stools
- have already taken a laxative and are still constipated
- have had a sudden change in bowel habit that has lasted for more than 2 weeks
- have kidney or heart failure
- are under 18 years of age unless advised by a medical professional
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
Tell your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if: -
- you suffer from kidney disorders
- you are taking medicines for a heart condition (e.g. cardiac glycosides, antiarrhythmic medicines e.g quinidine), medicines inducing QT elongation, diuretics, adrenocortico steroids or liquorice root preparations.
- you have been told you have an intolerance to some sugars because this medicine also contains lactose monohydrate (15.82mg per tablet)
Each tablet contains powdered Alexandrian Senna fruit (pods) (Cassia senna L (C. acutifolia Delile)) and Tinnevelly Senna fruit (pods) (Cassia angustifolia Vahl) equivalent to 7.5mg hydroxyanthracene glycosides, calculated as sennoside B. This medicine also contains: calcium phosphate, maize starch, magnesium stearate and lactose monohydrate.
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine